Wednesday, February 25, 2009

New Job(s)

For this post to make sense, I have to go back a few days...

Rizzo bought me Season 1 of Flight of the Conchords a few weeks ago so that I could have something to do until Season 2 started- keep in mind, he has never seen an episode before!

After he bought it, I made him watch one of my favorites and of course he was hooked on the show. This was a pivotal turning point in the inception of Flight Night (Sundays where I go over to his house and watch it). This past Sunday was the start of Season 2, but it was also the Oscars. I have to watch the Oscars. There is no choice. My sisters and I used to have Oscar parties. I can't remember a year when the three of us didn't watch them...

Then Rachel left for Atlanta for undergrad and it wasn't the same for me and Raina. We'd all watch it (Raina and I together and Rachel in her dorm, I assume) and talk on the telephone about our predictions, gowns, speeches, etc.

Then Raina went off and got hitched and that was the end of sister Oscar Night. I watch it on my own now, which hasn't been much fun.
When I told Rizzo that I was watching the Oscars in lieu of FoC, he said he'd TiVo and I could watch it later.
Here is where this was all heading:
I thought later came last night at 6P. It didn't.

When he called it was to flip out over not knowing how to study for his midterm. His midterm is today at noon.
I'm not sure that he's really the collegiate type. He hadn't read 75% of the material (as an effect, he didn't know 75% of the terms on the study guide). Let this be a lesson to those of you still in school! Don't be like Rizzo... You might not have friends like me who turn into a life-size Cliff Note.

We studied until 9 at which point I told him that he was on his own to review. He said, "Okay, I'm going to wake up early tomorrow and do it, I'm going downtown to have a beer now" What? What? What?

I told him there would be no more help with papers or studying, or buying him presents if he even dared to go out! I'm not kidding either. I have no way of finding out if he did or not, but I like the threat anyway.

So I might get a new job studying for people. He felt ridiculously better about his impending D to C basis after I helped him, maybe I can help out other non-college minded individuals as well. I'll let you know how that one works out...

Back to the Oscars now!

When Sean Penn won I was excited about what the win meant for the movie, not necessarily for Mr. Penn. Afterward, my mother said to me, "Isn't that the guy who used to beat up Madonna?" "Yes, mother, that's him." Mother, after a pause, "I don't think he did a good enough job. She's still singing."

Oh, mother- how I love you more than the sunshine...

I was not happy about Slumdog Millionaire winning Best Picture. It was a great movie, it really, really was- but my loyalties lay with Bruce Cohen. Always. He was robbed. I love Bruce...


Next time, baby! Next time you'll get 'em!
If he'd give me my job back, I'd make sure of it.
Hint* Wink* Sigh*
Pay no attention to me in the picture- that was six years ago and I have since stopped looking like a twelve year old...
On another job-related note, my writer's block is no more!
This morning on the way to work I decided what to write for the KWC challenge! I'm so excited, I just can't hide it! I'm about to loose control- Stop! I'll have that in my head all day if I don't stop it now...
I'm thinking of a way to turn my new one page challenge story into a book... and more importantly, a royalty check.
Again, I'll let you know how that works out.
With the exception of the 3 hours I spent with Rizzo last night, I spent the entire day reading Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I'm still processing it. I do know enough to say that i look forward to the sequel.
Oddly enough, I've had a nightmare about a similar situation. I think that's why it's taking me so long to put my thoughts about it in order. Hm.

3 comments:

Maggie May said...

your mom is hilarious!

Sunday's Pearl said...

That's mother. She's a pint-sized riot.

Sunday's Pearl said...

Oh- and I've apparently led my readers astray. It was brought to my attention that I still look like I'm twelve. So... whatever.