Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Rewind to Present

I don’t take a lot of time to appreciate the everyday wonders of my life, but now and then I get a friendly reminder from the heavens. Last night I was having a sad moment, thinking about the choices I’ve made and what I could have done differently. ..


I needed a moment to put things in perspective and to project what I do want out of life. Unfortunately it wasn’t going so well and I kept thinking about a boy and my lack of strength where he is concerned. Eyes closed, head back- I could feel myself slipping back to a place where I second guess everything and lose confidence in who I am. I looked up and realized that someone is on my side.


How can I not believe in some sort of greater being when I get this reminder of what beauty surrounds me (if I only take a moment to notice)? And it doesn’t hurt that the next book on my shelf to reread was Other People's Love Letters. Stunning sunset, charming book, and a glass of champagne. It was a lovely evening.
And much needed, because it’s my turn to select a challenge for the KWC. So many ideas are playing leap frog around my brain…


The Amazon: Best of the Month of March list of books is out, and there are short story compilations on it! Oh (excuse me while I do my lame but delightful happy dance) how I love short stories, and there are a few old names on the list, as well: Mary Gaitskill and Jason Brown are at it again, and though I haven’t read Don’t Cry and Why the Devil Chose New England for His Work, I have been enchanted by their earlier reads. My Chase/Amazon points just went up a little more…



Today is a roller coaster ride for me. I need to find myself a sweetly decorated cave to crawl into for a couple of days until things are normal again…





but i do love roller coasters

3 comments:

JMS said...

Can the sweetly decorated cave you wish to retreat to be my house at some point next week? I mean, I know that the decor is really lacking and it sure could use a good spru...(um...can't spell that right now)...cleaning up. But it will be warm and friendly and you can even bring Newman if you want! I'm sure Nalla would love him!

Oh - and I wanted to thank you for allowing me to work on those invitations. It's really made me remember how much I enjoy other things besides domestication!

Maggie May said...

I have had many an experience like the one you describe, esp. in my twenties, where i went out alone in pain and felt the comfort of the great big world
xo

Sunday's Pearl said...

j- well, duh. this is what i'm looking forward to!

maggie- isn't is odd how comfort can sometiems slap you right in the head and say "pay attention to me now!" i ♥ life